All the Group products are eternally recyclable
The efficient use of the resources is an essential requirement for CELSA Group™
The respect and care for the environment is fundamental to us
We aim to be Net Positive company by 2050
At Celsa Group we are
We contribute to the
recycling of 9.5 million
tons of materials of all kinds
Environment and energy
We want to be part of the solution to the climate change problem and for this reason we are already a low-emissions company and we have set ourselves the goal of reducing scope 1 and 2 emissions by 50% in 2030 and being a Net Positive company in 2050. For this, we produce steel with the most sustainable and efficient production system, in electric arc furnaces that reduces emissions by 9 times in relation to production in conventional blast furnaces. In addition, our facilities and processes are adapted to ensure maximum reuse and recovery of our waste and improve our energy efficiency. In this way, we avoid the consumption of 16,700 GWh annually, which is equivalent to the energy consumption of a city of more than 5 million inhabitants, and we also avoid the consumption of 17 million cubic meters of water, which is equal to the consumption of water of a city with a population of 350,000 people.
CELSA Group aspires to excellence in environmental management. For this reason, in recent years we have worked to implement the most demanding management systems in all our headwaters, such as the European EMAS Registry, and we also participate in the World Steel Association’s Climate Action Program.
At CELSA Group™ we make an outstanding contribution to the preservation of the environment
Using the most sustainable steel production technology.
Using the most sustainable steel production technology.
Reusing and valorizing the by-products of manufacturing processes that use steel as raw material.
Manufacturing fully recyclable products and operating the facility efficiently.
• Comply with legal obligations and requirements in the environments in which we operate. Information, collaboration and transparency with the Administrations.
• Consider the needs and expectations of stakeholders. Sign voluntary commitments and agreements with our closest communities in environmental improvement projects and in the dissemination and training of workers and neighbors in environmental matters.
• Work with contrasted, certified environmental management systems adapted to the nature of our activities that ensure care and respect for the environment, encouraging each person in our organization to act in an environmentally friendly way responsible.
• Apply continuous improvement in all our processes and develop and invest in new technologies that allow us to prevent and minimize atmospheric emissions, the generation of waste and the inefficient use of resources. Consider the product life cycle to determine environmental aspects and impacts.
• Promote environmentally responsible action by our suppliers, contractors and subcontractors, their commitment in this regard being a determining factor of choice.
• Promote the recovery, recycling and reuse of our products and work with our customers to raise awareness of the steel life cycle. Participate in initiatives that promote the use of environmentally responsible products.
• Use natural resources and energy efficiently and responsibly.
• Systematically apply continuous improvement and pollution prevention in the management of processes that includes the establishment and periodic review of environmental objectives and targets.
• Develop a production system that is respectful of the environment and in accordance with legal obligations and the commitments and voluntary agreements signed by the CELSA Group™ related to its environmental aspects.
• Promote the implementation of the waste hierarchy, so that the following management processes are favored: prevention, minimization, reuse, recycling, energy recovery and leaving landfill disposal as a residual management route
• Consider and minimize the impact of environmental aspects from the extraction of raw materials to the end-of-life conditions of both equipment and facilities and manufactured products, through the use of the best technologies available and affordable to the company.
• Develop the environmental commitment of each person linked to our business, including management, employees, contractors, customers and suppliers, making awareness, information and training an essential tool.
• Openly and transparently communicate our environmental performance with all interested parties with the aim of achieving environmentally respectful integration into our environment.
Efficient water management
The Group’s most relevant industrial processes are carried out at high temperatures. This fact implies the need to use water to ensure cooling of both the facilities and the manufactured product. At CELSA Group™ we are fully committed to the efficient use of this valuable natural resource. Our specific water consumption values in our plants remain among the best in the sector thanks to the continuous implementation of actions that reduce such consumption.
How do we do it?
• Use of semi-closed cooling circuits that allow the continuous reuse of most of the water in the process.
• Implementation of rainwater collection and reuse systems.
• Ensuring the quality of reused water.
• Commissioning of completely closed refrigeration systems where the cooling of the water in the circuit is carried out by means of dry coolers and without the option of evaporative losses.
New opportunities for waste
For CELSA Group™ waste management is an opportunity and a clear example of commitment to the circular economy. All the activities of the Group’s companies are carried out according to these principles. Along these lines, the Group carries out various actions to promote a more sustainable and positive development for the environment:
• The use of ferrous scrap as raw material. In the steel mills, the waste recycling process is developed to turn them back into a commercial product. This allows for lower energy costs and a more sustainable and efficient development.
• CELSA Group™ products are eternally recyclable thanks to the properties of steel. This allows all manufactured products to return to the life cycle again without overexploiting natural resources.
• Valorization and use of waste generated during the steelmaking process. These generated materials are considered co-products due to their high intrinsic value. They have a high capacity to be used as secondary raw material for processes such as road construction or for reuse in the process of obtaining steel.